Monday, February 8, 2010

Celebrity Cupcakes

Well, I've been hearing about the Celebrity Cupcakes in Rice Village Aracade for a while. While I don't bake cupcakes, I've crocheted them, and I'm now learning to craft soap in shape of cupcake... I *heart* cupcake. I would say I'm a connoisseur... I was there when Cookie Jar was around, and had a cupcake cake for my husband. I order frequently from Sugar Baby's. I even travel outside of the Loop to go to Ooh La La in Cinco Ranch. Of course, who can forget about Crave Cupcakes? Which, ahem, where the heck is my Sprinkle cupcakes??? I have to go to Dallas for my Sprinkles.

Anyway, back to Celebrity. The building it's housed is gorgeous, brand new and all around pretty. It's tucked in from the main street which is smart because we all can appreciate parking on site. It's right behind Bistro des Amis on Morningside & University. The decor is nice, dark wood trim with nice eggshell painted walls with gigantic windown pane doors. It's quite lovely.

When you get in, however, you realize how small the place really is. Looks like the kitchen is right open for all to see, which is fine by me, as I'm sure the aroma when fresh cupcakes comes out is wonderful. The display is very chic and very much the type of cupcake display cases you've seen at nicer stores. The lady that was there, I can only assume is the owner, wasn't all that friendly. I wasn't greeted when I walked it, it was just me and her, which also worries me on a good weekend day and a business like that is not busy, when a Crave is sold out. Now, granted, it's on Superbowl Sunday, but don't people eat cupcake at Superbowl parties?

The cupcake itself looks nice. Not messy nor does it look homemade, it's definitely professional looking cupcake. I tried to Chocolate Truffle, it's not really what it sounds like. It's more like a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing. I would say other than it looks good, the cupcake wasn't anything spectular. They certainly have the good location in their favor, but not sure if the owner's unfriendliness or the ordinary taste of the cupcakes makes the place stagnant, but I fear that when Crave Cupcakes move down the street in Spring would that put a small mom and pop shop like Celebrity out of business. We shall see.

Celebrity Cupcakes
2343 University Blvd. Ste B
Houston, TX 77005
713-667-CAKE (2253)

No comments: