Monday, September 17, 2012

Lili's 57 - NY

One spot I scooped out was Lili and Loo on UES, but we were nowhere near it, so instead we found Lili 57. We think they might be related, but couldn't find a sold proof, either way, we're up for some good GF Chinese food.
Situated literally across from the Carnegie Hall, if you blink, you might have missed it.  The subway station is literally right outside.  We already knew that we can do sushi no problem, but heard about GF dumpling, which we don't see it offered much, so thought we give it a shot.
We ordered the pan fried pork dumpling.  We honestly have not tried any dumpling that's GF, trust me, you don't realize you miss it until you get to have some.  Now, if they can master the Shanghainese dumpling with the soup in it... I'll be there daily!
It was quite mix of cuisine being offered there.  You get sushi, Chinese, Thai.  For instance, this is a Thai Iced Tea, wish they had the Iced Coffee... I'm a big fan.
I ordered the GF Mongolian Beef.  Now, here's the thing: if you're used to eating the Chinese style Mongolian beef, you know that the heat should come from the pepper.  Particularly, Asian Chili Pepper.  Not Bell Pepper, or Cayenne, or Banana Pepper, the heat is supposed to come from Chili Pepper.  Instead, the spice they used was from curry.  So, they got the steak right, and cooked nicely.  The look of the dish also will fool you, but the taste cannot escape it.  I'm surprised that they made that choice, because now this dish has become a Southeast Asian dish (think Thai/Singapore area) rather than a Chinese dish.  (Granted, I do know that's more of a Chinese-American dish than a real authentic Chinese dish)   

You know, they say that you eat with your eyes, and that is true, my eyes is telling me I'm having Mongolian Beef, which my head is expecting it as well.  But instead I got curried beef.  It is spice, no argument there, just the wrong palette is all.  I was quite disappointed, because had that been the case, I would've chosen the Massaman Curry instead.

Lili's 57
200 West 57th (on 7th Ave)
New York, NY 10019
Tel:212-586-5333 
www.lilis57.com/

No comments: