Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Gangnam Spa - restaurant

So I've been watching alot of Kdrama, so when my friend asked me to go check out a real authentic K-spa, I did not hesitate to say yes.
First, let's talk food.  They have the basic Korean dishes, bibimap, bulgogi, seaweed soup... etc.
I got tteokbokki (I pronounced it do-bok-gi -- yes I know it's incorrect).  Anyway, it's rice cake (flour/glutenous based type noodle) with cabbage, fish cake, carrot and this one have an egg in there.  It's a little spicy for taste, not for kick.  It's a typical street food for Korean.
Some sides for our table, though not the full fledge sides like we get when we go to a Korean restaurant, but it has (upper R corner) kimchi, potato with salted fish, and fish cake.  The sauce is actually for another dish.
My main dish was Bulgogi and Rice.  It taste ok, not exceptionally great and not bad at all.  As my friend calls it, it's a concession type food.  Even that, it is not cheap.  Average dishes about $12.  But the dining area is spacious and the cook time is fast.
So about the spa.  You pay a fee to go in.  You give them your ID and they give you a key to all your lockers (shoes and clothes) and a chip that you can charge your service and food on the tab.  At the end of your visit, you let them scan it and they will tally and settle up.

This is the main space and also common area for resting.  I think because we got there so early that no one was there, but supposedly, that's where people rest and gather or play games.
Since photography is frown upon.  I took some small ones.  This is a prettier space, that creates a calming atmosphere.  This one is in the foot spa.  It has a heated jet pool for you to soak your feet.  It does get hot but the room has a fan and a/c, so you're not exactly trapped in heat.

Speaking of heat, next door to this room is the Himalayan Salt room, and next to it is the Ice Room.  After the heat going to the Ice Room is nice but I can only do it for 3 minutes and I get too cool.  
Across the room is the low and hi temp cave.  I wasn't brave enough to go in there.
There are various loft spaces both in the locker rooms and in the common space area.  They have lounge chair, nap mats, and heat lamp while you rest.  

Some tips if you were to visit on your own:
1, this is not the American style spa, they don't give you a robe.  Part of the locker room you are encourage to be not clothed to go into the soak, that's how onsen are as well.  So it's not a place to be modest.  Of course, you don't have to participate if you don't want to, don't feel obligated but don't be surprise when you see folks naked in the locker room.
2, it cost $39 during the week and $49 on the weekend.  But if you go to H-Mart and pay cash, you can buy the tickets for $23 and it's good for any day use.  Of course read the fine prints in case they change the terms.
3, what to bring: I brought my own hair brush, my own soap, extra change of under garments, and my own sheet masks.  They do have hair dryer, hair brush and what not but certain things are good to bring your own than use what they provide.  During the rinse, they have bar soap, but I used my own.  If you didn't bring any, they have shampoo and conditioner, you can use that to rinse your body too.
4, as I said before, they don't give you a robe but they do give you uniform.  It's essentially t-shirt and shorts.  Everyone wear the same thing while they're there.  
5, you walk bare foot once you get out of the lobby/reception area.  I think some part of the floor is heated, but overall there are so many heated rooms that you won't be cold.
6, you literally can stay there all day if you do the rooms multiple times and or repeat spa or soak.  Or get a message, facials, pedi/mani.  But certain services are popular, so you may have to book ahead.
7, like they do in K-Drama, they are open 24 hours.  If you spend the night there, you have to pay $10 extra.  I don't think very many people stay overnight.  It's just too weird for a lot of people.  

Gangnam Spa
4055 Hwy 6 North
Houston, TX 77084
281-859-9888
https://gangnamspa.org


1 comment:

BASANT KUMAR said...

GramSave Sniffies isn’t bookmarked on my phone, however I’ve been logged in enough that the web target will auto-complete on my personal browser. Recently, we viewed it as I walked to my fitness centre.