Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Hong Kong Food Street

Haven't been back to Hong Kong Food Street a while, decided to stop by for lunch.
Start with some Jasmine tea.
This is Snow Pea Leaf with garlic stir fry.  One of my favorite as a kid and the flavor goes with rice super well.  Yum.
This is another memory lane favorite: Preserved Vegetables with Fatty Pork.  So, they really mush all the veggies and it is layered at the bottom of the pork.  The veggies are mostly mustard greens and the preserved is really dried and fermented.  The pork is super fatty but the dark color is really from the various soy sauce(s) to create that color.  Traditionally, you steam the pork with the various soy sauce and seasoning mix, then you fry it skin down to get that effect.  I will say, you just put your chopstick into the meat and it fell apart.  To me, that's the best thing ever.

The entire meal is really a walk down of memory lane for me.  Or rather, a meal of comfort food.  Is it bad for me, probably, but for a few minutes to enjoy and remember my childhood, it's quite worth it.  Though, I know this place isn't serving any authentic Hong Kong food, but for being where I am, this is the closest that I can find and I enjoy every single minute of it.

Hong Kong Food Street
9750 Bellaire Blvd
#100
Houston, TX 77036
713-981-9888
http://www.hongkong-foodstreet.com

No comments: