Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Xin Chao

This is technically my 2nd Restaurant Week meal, but I was too hungry, plus the to-go packaging wasn't all that appealing, so no pic to share. 
This time is to Xin Chao.  It was a collaboration between Christine Ha, Master Chef Winner & owner of Blind Goat and Tony Nguyen, founder of Wokker TX Ranger food truck & Saigon House.

What I didn't recognized until I pulled up was that this was formerly Beavers!  Also very closed to a friend's house and almost automatically turn on their street.  But I digress.

Happy Hour menu - from 5-6:30p Sunday thru Thursday.  Definitely try them all... I fully intend to come back just to do that. 

I got the Sugar Cane Juice, you don't get these easily.  And no, it's non-alcoholic.

For my Restaurant Week set, starter was: Not Our Ma's Eggrolls.  It has crab, shrimp, pork inside.  The trick is tear the lettuce (yes, not only for decoration), and wrap it around the egg roll.  Dip it into the fish sauce and enjoy.  Trust me on this... 

Off HRW menu, I had to get the Grilled Oysters, which came out hot, hot, hot!  It has oyster, pork cracklin' but also look to be bits of bacon, peanut, lime juice.  It's good... get it! 

Entree: their flagship dish - Braised Pork & Crispy Rice served in a hot stone pot.  It has scallion greens, some celery, pork (YUM), 60 degree egg.  And in Asian culture, you often see this dish and it is THE BEST to have during Winter time, because it will warm your belly.  The rice is crispy because it's 'burnt' by the pot.  And they have some sauce from the pork to 'soften' it up.  It's pretty good.

Last but not least, dessert: their famous Rubbish Apple Pie ala mode.  Besides apple and pastry, it has a hint of star anise, ginger, salted caramel sauce (where I later found out it has a hint of fish sauce), and vanilla ice cream.  I cleaned the plate of course.  

Overall the experience was great.  Definitely make the reservation before coming.  Whether online or by phone.  If you just show up, it is not guaranteed a seat.  Bar area is small, so those fill up fast.  

Server was fine.  But I have to say, our hostess, was the mostess.  She can sense that I was a tad sensitive about sitting near others indoors, and while we all know they have to fill the tables, she tried to seat folks at other tables until she absolutely have to seat someone next to us.  By then, we were paying our bill, so it was no biggie.  While they do have ample outdoor seating, the sky was gloomy and I was informed that if we sit outside and it's full inside, when it rains, we won't be able to find a seat.  So if you're sensitive about crowded places, go early.

Xin Chao
2310 Decatur St
Houston, TX 77007
832-740-4888
https://www.xinchaohtx.com







 

No comments: