Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sushi Wabi

For my birthday, my friend took me to Sushi Wabi. I haven't heard about it, and I'm always up for trying new things.
For appetizer, we ordered fried calamari. It is basically tempura-ed calamari w/ ponza sauce. It's a bit chew-ier than I like, but it's not bad.
The next one that was recommended by our server was the Black Pepper Beef. It's a bit spicier than I like, can't even finish it.
Baked Mussels. It's no different than the ones I've had at Tokyohana.
Butter Ika, whole squid. It's actually much better than the Fried Calamari. I guess I like them grilled than fried.
Here's the highlight of the evening: scallop sashimi. My friend had to called ahead of time and reserved them. They are very fresh, which was to my surprise. Not to mention, the presentation was awesome.
Baked Scallop. I know, talk about having a compare and contrast. Amazingly, the presentation was much nicer on the scallop sashimi, but the baked ones taste much better.
Here's a nice presentation of sashimi. You have salmon, white tuna, and uni.
Look how fresh they are, and the lovely presentation in a rose shaped.
Last but not least, is Fried Ice Cream. It usually is drizzled with chocolate sauce. But this one is really ice cream inside. I only had a small bite, but it's fully battered and too doughy.


Overall, the owner does try to deliver fresh and it is get the job done, but some of the dishes were over shot. I liked that they go above and beyond with presentation, but I think I will wait to try the sushi before I make a verdict.



Sushi Wabi

3953 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027

713-623-8818

http://www.sushiwabihouston.com/

No comments: