Monday, November 7, 2022

Chez Kobayashi Patisserie

Friend was telling me about this place and I happen to be in the neighborhood and stop by to check this out.
It's in a small little corner at Memorial and Dairy Ashford.

I came kinda late, and this is what is left in the case.

A couple of people in front of me cleared out the bottom shelf, that's testament how good they are.

They even have coffee, and a small corner for you to enjoy it.

From what I understand this was a French Cafe in the prior rendition, you can see some remnants which fit perfectly with what it is now.

What did I get: I cleared out their Mont Blanc, which I understand they only has it on Thursday & Saturday. 

This is the Mango Tart.  Not too tart-y, it does has mango flavor but it's mellow-er than I had expected.  The texture reminded me of jelly but light in flavor, not at all overwhelming.

Here's the Mont Blanc - it's really the Japanese take of the French/Italian dessert.  Like the snow capped mountain its name after, there's powder sugar on top of strings of chestnut puree.  When you take the top, you will see the whipped cream inside, and small pieces of chestnut inside.  The bottom has a little cake, which is held by a little tart.  It's a lot of work, which is why it's rare and you don't see a lot of these made around town, when the tastebud in Houston has not grown to appreciate it.  

I can count on one hand (or even less) of places that make chestnut cakes.  Truly make and not bought from somewhere and serve.  It's very much an Asian Flavor despite it's origin from France or Italy.   That said, I treasure wherever we can find it.  

Not to mention, this is a mom and pop shop, they also have quiche, croissant sandwich, and sweet & savory crepes.  Not just the French crepes, the Japanese style with lots of fruit.  Definitely have to come back for that.

Chez Kobayashi Pastries
14522 Memorial Dr
Houston, TX 77079
281-741-9161
https://www.instagram.com/chezkobayashipastries/





 

No comments: