Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Tim Ho Wan

Finally made it out to Katy to try Tim Ho Wan.
Have been waiting for them for 3 long years.

They're known for their dim sum, as a matter of fact, originated in Hong Kong and has a Michelin Star.  Which you don't get too many non-shi-shi place on the Michelin Star list except for food in Asia. 

Their claim to fame - their Char Siu Bao.

Their Pork bun are baked not steamed like the traditional way.  Not only that, it has little crumbs on top like the Cantonese Pineapple Bun, it's different for sure.

You can see they give you all the filling of the HK BBQ pork in there. 


My favorite growing up - steamed rice roll (Cheung fun) with BBQ Pork inside.  It's drenched in soy sauce and makes it all salty and stuff, and it's just nostalgic to have.

Here comes the standards - turnip cake - pretty freshly made and you can tell.

Siu Mai with goji berry, which I failed to see the attraction here.  It's a good siu mai, but nothing outstanding on that one.

Same with the har gow which I think the skin was a bit thicker than I'm used to.  The filling is good though.  Meanwhile the shrimp filling mixture they used fresh ingredients. 

Another one of my favorite - lotus sticky rice.  I like it because it's has chicken, mushroom bits in the mix and maybe because it's sticky or maybe because it was cooked in lotus leaf, the flavor came out nicely. 

Another childhood favorite, steamed egg cake.  This one however is shorter than what I'm used to.  The ones I grew up with is nice and rise up quite high.  This one was a tad deflated.  But flavoring is the same. 

Also pan fried noodle.  This is a good kid dish because it has just noodle and soy sauce, of course lots of times they add veggies in there, but the kids know none the better.  I was surprised to see sesame on top, that's not where I've seen most.  I will say this one was drier than how I like them.

We got there early by accident, though I've heard that you do have to wait in line.  I will say I've heard people start waiting 30 mins before open on the weekend.  The day I went the line started about 10 mins before.  And they are pretty strict about not seating you until your entire party is there.  So, coordinate it well.  Within minutes the whole floor is seated full.  Not only that they dishes starts to fly out of the kitchen.  As fast as the folks sit down and order, and as fast as the server can run to the kitchen grab them and serve.  The system is fast but can be chaotic at times.  When asked for a to-go box for leftover, each of the boxes are tiny, so be sure to ask for a few.  By the way, this is not the push-cart system, it's an order on paper system.  So, if you want the push-cart experience, this is not the place.  But if you want to try different kinds of dim sum, this is it.

Tim Ho Wan
23330 Grand Circle Blvd
Ste 180
Katy, TX 77449
832-222-6588

 

No comments: