Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Taste of Spices

Heard about a new. place opened up near me.  
Of course, curiosity kills the cat, and hopefully have a good find for me.

I got this purely for nostalgic reasons, it's curry fish balls.  Don't worry it's a ball made out of fish paste.  It's been soaked in curry sauce.  That's the way the street food was presented.  Of course, I'd be surprise they served it the same way, on a skewer stick.  As far as taste go, it was ok.  Was it just like how my childhood memory was?  No.  But it's a decent one to get if you are waiting for your food.

I got the Salt & Pepper Squid.  Just had a hankering for it, and to my surprise, it was pretty good.  So much so that I finished the dish myself.  Not too spicy, but has enough crisp & kick to finish off.  Definitely worth getting. 

Salty Fish and Diced Chicken fried rice - my tried and true comfort food dish.  I will say, this time there's plenty of salty fish, not just for taste but serious chunks.  It's funny because once upon a time, Salty Fish was looked down upon.  As it was only source of protein for poor families to have some taste to their otherwise plain and boring rice or congee.  Fast forward to now, it is very much considered a delicacy. 

Then I got the Braised E-Mein - which the sound of noodle sounds like a long life, that's also why this noodle dish is often ordered for birthdays; with the intention of wishing then a long life.  This is a vegetarian dish, it has carrots, mushrooms shiitake and oyster, chives (cut longways) and for sure 2 types of soy sauces.  

Overall, they are offering dishes that I don't usually get this part of town.  Nor is there a lot of places offering E-Mein.  For this area, it does the trick and it'll work.  I haven't found anything that is 100% authentic yet, but the quest continues.  Meantime, I still get to eat something good.

Seems like the owner/chef is Cantonese, I did see some BBQ duck and pork hanging.  I will say the price is high and I'm not sure if ti is because of the area or if it is because right now inflation is high.  For that meal, it was quite costly for homey dishes that shouldn't cost me equivalent of a decent sit-down restaurant meal, but that is a contentious point with a lot of the folks in the area.   Hope they picked up that fact soon.

Taste of Spices
2268 Holcomb Blvd
Houston TX 77030
713-993-6125
https://www.tasteofspices.online/menu




 

No comments: