Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mockingbird Bistro Wine Dinner event

So, I subscribed to Cleverly's Newsletter after the Houston Restaurant Week last fall. And I came across her announcement on the Mockingbird Bistro Wine Dinner. I've heard of it, just didn't know what it entails and been dying to try that out.

I grabbed my friend Steve and off we went. As you arrive, you can see that they kept alot of the Quasimodo's decor but with a new coat of paint and nice carpet. If you recall, the restaurant before the arrival of Mockingbird was Quasimodo, which was owned by the same guy who owns the building. I remembered because I used to live down the street and I would go to the laundromat next door. I would see him go between the restaurant and the laundromat, and we think that he and his wife live upstairs. All I remember was he used to play the 740AM radio and was grumpy. I would put a load of laundry in, eat dinner at Quasimodo and then go back and put my clothes in the dryer. That worked out for me.

Anyway, Mockingbird moved in around 2002 or 2003, because they just opened and shortly after I got married and moved out of the neighborhood. While I envied the diners at the new, chi-chi restaurant. I'm sure they were wondering why some girl carrying her laundry strolling right in front of them while they eat. That has got to be very very odd.

Fast forward to last night, I finally can afford to come as a diner. And it was well worth it. I was going to take a picture of each of the dish, but since we were in a small room that would've been obvious and embarrassing. The menu is as follows:

First Course
Pancetta Wrapped Jumbo Scallop with roasted pear and peach petite salad. Pinot gris/vanilla vinaigrette

Wine pairing: 2007 Belle Vallee Pino Gris

Second Course
Duck 3 Ways
-seared breast with dried fruit compote
-leg confit w/ farro risotto
-torchon of duck foie gras/raspberry aspic

Wine pairing: 2007 Belle Vallee Reserve Pinot Noir

Main Course
Duo of Colorado Lamb
-grilled lamb ribeye with wild mushrooms chevre maitre d'hotel butter
-slow braised lamb shank with peruvian lima beans swiss chard and prune/apricot gremolata

Wine pairing: 2006 Belle Valle Grand Cuvee Pinot Noir

Finale
Wild Berry Cobbler with Belle Vallee Port ice cream

Wine Pairing: 2004 Belle Vallee Pinot Noir Port
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, first off, I'm not a true wine connoisseur, so I cannot throw out adjectives like robust, fruity, aromatic...etc at a drop of a hat. That part, might be lost on me, but the food doesn't. What they didn't put on the menu was during the reception, they did tuna tartare, grilled lamb chop, and crab leg lollipop in orange sauce; all of them goes very well with their Pinot Gris. (In case you haven't figured out, this is a wine sponsored dinner, that's why all the wine came from the same winery.)

The jumbo scallop was nice and fresh, along w/ the roasted pear and peach, that really brought out the pancetta. However! When you eat it w/ the vinaigrette, it brought out flavors that is excitement. And when you pair it w/ the pinot gris, it really neutralizes the acid and makes everything neutral and happy.

The Duck 3 ways was definitely my favorite part. I was already impressed by the surprising flavors from the risotto, but to add the duck breast, it just builds the yummyness in my mouth. I liked the breast was seared but you can still taste the marinate and the fruit on top of it, made the meat sweeter than it already is. But, the best part of all was the foie gras. I don't care what your view on foie gras is, that foie gras was super awesome and I haven't been able to stop talking about it. It has a thin cracker at the bottom, a small portion of foie gras, and topped w/ a piece of raspberry aspic. What the heck is an aspic? I don't know, but it was good and that's good enough for me. Can I get more????

The main course was the lamb. The lamb w/ wild mushroom, and let me tell you, that sauce and the mushroom really made the lamb ribeye. You don't see lamb ribeye very often so it's definitely a treat to have something so rear. The braised lamb shank was really shredded and mixed w/ the beans and prune and the apricot gremolata mix laid comfortably on a square pastry. It totally made me want to pick it up and devour. Of course, I didn't, but I wanted to.

The dessert was a berry cobbler, but if seems more like a layer of fresh fruit at the bottom, a cookie-like top dusted w/ powder sugar, and the special port ice cream, which I can taste there's cinnamon in it. That was delicious. I'm still gaga over the foie gras, but the ice cream cobbler combo does hit the spot. The port wine that was paired was very strong in terms of alcohol content, so I backed off on that, especially when I don't have a designated driver with me.

Dinner was nice, I was a little apprehensive about the open seating. I don't care to be forced into mingling with others, I wanted to have a relax and enjoyable dinner. Luckily, our table were seated w/ cool guests which makes conversations easy and comfortable. To that, I thank my lucky stars that brings people together serendipitously. The cost is $125, gratuity of $25 is tagged on, plus tax you're lookinag at $136 and change. Obviously, this is not something you do every night, nor does Mockingbird offer them 'that' frequently. Maybe once a quarter, so a treat once in a while is ok.

I do look forward to other menu items at Mockingbird, they have superb servers and staff, their chefs are amazing. I'd definitely go back, wine dinner or not.

Mockingbird Bistro
1985 Welch St.
Houston, Texas 77019
Tel. 713.533.0200
Reservations recommended

bring change for valet parking.

No comments: