Saturday, August 14, 2010

HRW 2010: 17

In case you haven't heard, it's Restaurant Week in Houston. This is where my gluttonous self comes out. Also that's where I go broke...

I love this time of year because not only do you get to taste the yummiest food around town. You get it in a prix fixe format. On top of that, $5 of each meal goes towards theHouston Food Bank. You get to eat well and do good... why not?

One feature I love for this year is that more and more restaurants are offering lunch for $20 and dinner, like last year is $35.

So, the first place we went to was 17. We went last year where the executive chef had first arrived. The best thing I remembered was the deconstructed beef wellington. This year, having the year under his belt, things are significantly more casual.

This is what I had:

1st
17 Crab Cake, Tomato Broth
This was one of their signature dish. I must say, they weren't lying. It was easy to love, and the tomato broth I wish I can dip everything it in.

2nd
Texas Peach Braised Pork Shank
Corn and Barley Compote, Pork Lacquer

The pork was truly delicious. It was so good that the meat fell off the bone. The compote was more like a pasta than cous cous. I am, however not a big fan of corn, so I did pick around it. Haha.

3rd
Chocola
te Pound Cake
Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Orange Anise Glaze

The dessert was a little misleading and not as good as I'd thought. Even though it said it is a chocolate pound cake, the amount of orange zest and glaze around it, really empowered it towards more orange taste than chocolate taste. I wish they have more of a balance.

17 at Alden Hotel
1117 Prairie St
Houston, TX 77002
832-200-8800
http://www.aldenhotels.com/17.php

No comments: