Sunday, September 5, 2010

Gluten Free Oreo Cookie


So my husband is on the gluten free diet. The problem is that not alot of good dessert is out there that's not dried and cardboard tasting. I am on these blogs and found this recipe from Wise Bread.

That said, I didn't follow the recipe
to a T. First of all, it calls for the gluten free all purpose flower. And while I know in theory, it's 3 parts of this, 3 parts of that, 2 part of something, and 1 part of something else or another... So, instead of making the mixture, because I don't want to do the match to divide them out to 1 1/4 cup of that mixture. I went to the trustee Pamela's Pancake mix.
My thinking was, if majority of ingredient is already in that pancake mix, why not just use that. Of course, in my mind, they are the same portion w/ all the ingredients... not having a clue if that's true or not.

That said, next time, if I were to do it again, I may go w/ Bob's Red Mill's Gluten Free all purpose flour. I'm just curious how the consistency will come out.

This time, to me, it's a little grain-y.
The shortening made a very good cream in the middle. The review I've gotten were that it looks like moon-pie and definitely too big to dip into any glass of milk.

In reality, it doesn't taste super chocolatey like Oreos, you can definitely tell there's chocolate in there. I would rather it be smoother. The filling wasn't bad, so I wouldn't change that. Maybe just lesser portion.

I think I may try a different recipe if I were to do the oreo-like cookies again. And by the way, because they call for gluten free flour, they do burn easily, so keep an eye on it.

No comments: