Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Koi

Went to Koi for dinner.

Even though, this is somewhat new, looks like they already made this their old haunts.

I started with a Cucumber Mocktail and Ikageso - which is fried squid.

Also had cucumber salad to boot.

I was being 'flex' and ordered Uni & Waygu nigiri - talk about rich. It's pretty decent quality and while uni fell apart easily from Santa Barbara, it was a nice combo.

We got Tara and Truffle, which is black code with truffle and mushroom.  The sauce is pretty good and you can definitely taste the truffle.

I ordered the Tokyo Seven, which is a mini Omakase sitting at the bar.

To start, we got Madai (Japanese Sea Bream)- they definitely grounded some wasabi root for this, you can taste it's really fresh with the fish.

Then Hiramei which is flounder

Kanpachi - which is Amberjack - I actually quite like the flavor on this one.  It was surprising because I often overlook Amberjack but the saltiness came in nice and smooth it was a nice taste.

This is Baby Seabream, it's also something I've never tried before, so it was neat to try.

Kinmadai - which is a golden eye snapper.  This one came in a hint sour.

This is my first time to have Chutoro (medium fatty tuna) this way - rolled up in nori.  Usually it's over rice as nigiri, but this is nice too.

Lastly, is tamagotchi - also never had it this way.  But it's pretty good.

Having a reservation here is recommended, but if you want to sit at the bar, I don't think it's a big deal.  That said, the service was a tad hovering.  My friend and I were chatting and what not, I swear the server must've stopped no less than five times to ask if he can take our plates even with there's food on there.    We left as soon as we were done since they seem to be in a hurry to get rid of us.

Koi Houston
240 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77006
832-645-0008

 

No comments: