Sunday, June 13, 2010

Giordano's Chicago


The other place that I like to take Texans to is Giordano's. They have the classic Chicago Deep Dish that is well known. Now, I know what you're going to say. There's Pizzeria Uno and others. Frankly, unless you are a true Chicagoan, you really don't know what the best Deep Dish is located. I'm telling you, I've eaten w/ locals at the most hole-in-the wall place that I don't even know how to get to, now that's true Deep Dish.

In the mean time, since I'm not a local and this is right by the Mag Mile and by my hotel, that'll work. I know what you're thinking: it's by the touristy area, how good can it be? Well, so good that alot of Chicagoan who moved away would order it online. Yes, they do entertain online orders. What they do is that they cook it halfway and then freeze it and overnight it to you. Can you tell I've done it and ate it that way couple of times? =D

So, let's talk food, shall we?

My friend Angie and I went to the Giordano's and they made it very easy for you to order. You put your name down w/ the hostess, grab a menu, look over what you want (pizza-wise), and go place your order. Yes, you place your order before even sitting down. This way they can start prepping your pizza, since it's deep dish, there's no 30 minutes delivery here. They take at least 45 mins to bake.

We didn't do the suggested pizza toppings, we ventured out on our own, not very far, but olives, pepperoni, mushroom, and cheese. Yes, cheese, cheese and more cheese. Needless to say, for even a small size, between the two of us, it was alot of food. We both had 2 slices and was ready to raise the white flag and give up.

Notable things here, their house red wine is great with pizza. Their Caesar Salad is worth having w/ anchovy, yes gross as that might sound, the saltyness of the fish brings out the sourness of the salad dressing and when mixed well, it was great. Sound strange? You should try it.

Needless to say, we were sad that we didn't get dessert, but we just couldn't do it. We were about to bust out of the seams.

Giordano's
730 N. Rush Street (by E. Superior)
Chicago, IL
(312) 951-0747
http://www.giordanos.com/

No comments: