Monday, April 11, 2011

El Real -ly?!

So with so much hype and anticipation, I talked David into going to check out El Real with me. On a Sunday night, I must say the joing was jumping. We already intentionally get there after 8p but it was not any better. Luckily the wait was not long. I liked what they did to the space. If you have been around the Houston area long enough, at one point or another, you may have pass thru this awesome looking old theatre space that was home to Hollywood Video. You can tell once it was a glorious theatre and now well... it's a video store.


Now, you walk in, the space is clean and tidy, with a large screen and several smaller flat screen playing Spaghetti Western of some sort. It's kitchy but not really necessary. Although, for big games like NCAA or Super Bowl, I can see that it'll be a popular spot to be.


The team consisted of Bill Floyd, Bryan Caswell (of Reef, Stella Sola, and Little Bigs to fame) and author and food critic Rob Walsh. At first, the idea of having 2 very established restauranteur and famous chef that has 3 already great establishment plus a food critic seems to be a fool proof formula for a great restaurant.
Sadly, not sure if it was because we were there their 3rd week of operations or the team spread too thin, the food was nowhere to par. I understand it's not Pappa's or Ninfa's type of Tex Mex, but having eaten at Stella Sola, Reef, and Little Bigs, I would say those flavors are on par and exceed expectations. There are dishes from SS that made my tummy happy. However, with their Tex Mex spin it was more ordinary for the hype and the noise people made.

Usually, when I go to a place I've never been before, I ask the server what's their popular dish. I know they have their personal favorite, which they'll never tell you whatever dish is not good, right? But I was also hoping he'll sell me on a dish too. Basically, he said having the puffy taco can't lose. Fine, I'll try it. The other dish we ordered was the original enchilada plate.

Here's the thing, the puff taco is a novelty thing. I've never had a taco where the shell is like a clam shell. However, I also did not expect the ingredients inside would be dry. Out of the 3 options of chicken, pulled pork, or beef, I had the chicken and the pork. In the chicken, it was a layer of beans, a layer of pulled chicken, tons of lettuce, some tomato, and no sauce. Ok... maybe that's how it was intented to be eaten. Urm... it was dry dry dry. Then on to the pulled pork. I loved pulled pork by several restaurants in town, Little Bigs included, so I must say I have some preconceived notion going in. Well, it's more moist than the chicken, but it wasn't as flavorful as it can be. I would say, if there's a bare minimum, the meat was a notch less than that.

The original enchilada plate was ok. My favorite part of a plate like that, usually, is the sauce with the rice. Well, the sauce looked good, it looked like it has a good amount of cheese and mixing w/ the sauce, it looks great to go with anything. Sadly, that was a disappointment as well. The sauce wasn't as great as it looked. As a matter of fact, it was rather tasteless.

I've seen some review where people claimed that this is like the vintage/original Tex Mex. So, either they really think that, or places like Chuy's or Pappa's overinflate the taste so you keep going back. Either way, El Real doesn't strike any notes with me. Spoke with a friend who went on her own and she felt that the food was nothing to write home about either. The margarita was good, but the dessert (all 3 to choose from) was only so-so.

Like I said, maybe there are kinks they haven't worked out. But don't take my word for it. For try it for yourself and see what you think.

El Real Tex Mex
1201 Westheimer(at Yoakum)
713.524-1201

No comments: