Monday, April 25, 2011

Macaron experient part 1

If you've ever tried to make macarons at home, you'd know that when you separate the egg whites from the yolk seems wasteful because let's face it, how many creme brulee' or hollandaise sauce can you make when you're already pre-occupied w/ the macarons.

I know I'm not the only one to think that there's got to be something in the market that accommodates this issue.
The problem is that, most of the egg whites only products are pasturized, which makes it hard, if not, impossible to whip up the egg whites, and create that perfect stiff peak (yes, insert jokes here).

Let me tell you how this is NOT easy to do w/ non-real egg whites. First of all, as I mentioned before because of the pasturized products, the closest one that comes to it is Eggology.

Then, whatever guidelines they have told you on the side of the container about how many tablespoon is equivalent to real egg whites is not true when it comes to this project.


I basically added 3 more tablespoon of it in compable to the real egg whites. Also, parked next to real egg whites, you'll soon realize the difference. I say this because when I pour out the egg whites and about to get the real ones, I was wondering how I can tell them apart. Well, you can. Look at the first picture, the clear one is the real one, the murky one is the Eggology.

The Eggology took longer to whip over all. It was a little longer to get it foamy before I can add the sugar in to whip it up. Also, when I finally got some-what of a stiff peak, it's not stiff all the way. I would not go as far to say you can't over whip this, but it'll take a little longer than real egg whites.

Of course, then the problem is, when you pipe them out they're runny and spread as they sit. I've got several stuck together, not pretty.

Once they came out of the oven... poor things, they are fragile as heck. They're cooked appropriately, not under cook, but when you tried to lift it, it crackles and even crumbled. Sad face!


Here's me attempting to make bunny shaped macs for Easter... poor thing only look onto one side because of the spread. I had piped over 40 and only these survived... what does that say?


I will tell you, though, the tasters all loved the taste. It does deliver that moisture you want when you bite into it. Unfortunately, it just didn't 'stand up' as you would hope for it to do. That's ok... we have another batch.


No comments: