Monday, February 17, 2020

Politan Row

Was curious about another food hall, so decided to go to Politan Row.
Parking wasn't much of an issue, you can park at the garage for free for first 2 hours, then quick walk over.  Of course, you can pay the meter or find a street parking.  Make sure you read all the signs.
K-So dip from Breaking Bad.   The dip is like crack, I cannot stop eating it.  You can add the beef for $1, and those wonton chips goes with the dip so well. I even don't mind that I'm paying $9 for queso.
Then it's Aqua Fresca from Cochinita & Co.  This is definitely freshly made but it was more concentrated than I'd like.  
Got the ceviche, which is served on plantain chips.  It has snapper, jicama, pickled cucumber, tomato, passionfruit, pineapple.  It is not bad, but since they just assemble there, I had higher expectation, and it did fall short, especially of the price point. 
Got the Plantain chips appetizer from Ate Kitchen, which is Caribbean styled cuisine.  The Chimichurri sauce is fresh and have a kick. 
This is the Jerk Chicken with plantain and mango/pineapple pico on top.  Don't underestimate the pico, it has a lot of kick on the chicken.
Tried the curry from Kin.  It's Chu Chee curry that has shrimp, to go with roti.  The banana leaf has rice wrapped in it.
Lastly for some froyo, I got Ovaltine from Susu.  It is as malty as I'd recall Ovaltine to be.  For the small cup it is $5.  

Overall, there are good dishes here.  Maybe I just didn't picked the right ones, but all of them seems to be too high for the price than value or taste ratio.  I heard great things about the bar, and maybe that's where I should've started.  Overall, I understand these budding or experienced chef has to pay rent, especially in the prime real estate of Rice Village.  That said, for the price I paid at a nice restaurant, I expected the quality of the food and the taste to be proportional.  I even went back for a cup of boba tea, which I'm accustomed to $5 for a fancy cup, they're asking for more and the boba is not even fresh, I'm greatly taken aback on that.

I see that they still have room for 3 more spaces, total of 12 spots.  I can only hope they have more cool stuff lined up.

Politan Row
2445 Times Blvd
Houston, TX 77005
https://houston.politanrow.com



No comments: