Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Takumi-Ichi Ramen

Drove by and out of curiosity (and hunger), decided to give this new spot a try.
It's in the shopping center on Westheimer & Fountainview.
Ordered the pan-fried dumpling, you can tell it was home made, that's a great start.  
Chashu Bun - it's ok, I still like Fat Bao's better.  I feel that for that price point, there should be more filling to the bao. 
Tonkotsu Ramen, sadly, there was no taste to the broth.  The egg came out nicely, the bamboo came out from the can.  The pork does taste good, and the mushroom is .... well, mushroom.  Again for that price point, its competitors pack a lot of punch into a little bowl.  To say it was a sad visit is an understatement.  I hope they will improve and thrive, they have a good location and I think the area can use a ramen joint, but they really have a lot of points that needed to be worked on.

The place has nice decor and atmosphere, sadly beyond the dumpling is where the impression stops.  Later found out other ramen-enthusiasts also have similar issues.  Not that I listen to what other critics' opinion, as much as it validates my own.  I hope they will turn the corner from here.

Takumi Ichi Ramen
5901 H Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77056
713-993-6105


No comments: