Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Federal American Grill

Had a work dinner at Federal Grill.
I've never been, but I like work dinners, you get to try everything and can be non-committal except your entree.

This is their calamari - while I'm a big fan of calamari, I'm not a big fan of this style.  They tried to do a Kung Pao style, and the sauce isn't there and while pepperochini can work with Asian cuisine, just not gelling for me here.

Bang Bang Shrimp on the other hand, is much more in the Asian style than the Kung Pao shrimp.  I'm not usually a shrimp person, and I went back for seconds. 

Jumbo Lump Crab Cake - actually has lots of crab meat in the mix.  I would recommend this.

I would skip the Fried Cheeseburger Eggroll.  It sounded good in concept but execution missed the bar.

What did I get for the Entree?  I got the Bacon Wrapped Scallops with a side of Truffle Mac and Cheese.  The scallops were superb with the lobster sauce was nice.  The Mac and Cheese, however, lots of macs but hardly any cheese.  Though you can taste a hint of the truffle oil, I would felt that I overpay for the amount of ingredients on the pasta.

It's nice to share desserts, you can mix and match as you wish... There are Bourbon Bread Pudding, Double Chocolate Brownie, and in the middle is a Butter Cake.  Highly recommend all 3 of those.  I love bread pudding so naturally that is a 'go' for me.  The Brownie goes well with a nice cup of coffee.  The Butter Cake goes well with an espresso. 

This one in the middle has a Cheesecake.  Very New York style, not a bad way to end the night.

While overall the experience is mixed on the food.  The servers were super attentive.  That said, they are one of the few eateries where no staff wears a mask.  If that is an issue for you, please beware.  Some points we forget are that the servers have moments where they have to lean in to clear your place, refill water, or deliver dishes.  If that is a concern for you, be mindful of that.

Another side note, definitely check out the framed quotes on the wall of the hallway and in the bathrooms. Some very clever sayings and observations are in there.  Just fun to get a giggle.

Federal American Grill
8731 Katy Fwy
Ste 150
Houston, TX 77024
832-910-7777
https://thefederalgrill.com

 

No comments: