Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Bird and The Bear

For my birthday, my mom took me to The Bird and the Bear per my request. I've long been a fan of Ouisie's and been dying to go to the B&B just didn't have an excuse to go. If you're not familiar with the area, it is next to Chuy's. On a busy night, it really is worth it to valet your car just so you're not all frustrated with finding a parking, which seems to be impossible.

The space was first a sushi restaurant, then a Chinese restaurant, then was a seafood restaurant, and this 4th reincarnation as Bird and Bear.
When you sit down, instead of bread, they give you thin bread strips with olive oil and pepper. I just love the presentation.
Under the advisement of our server, we tried the Sauteed Calamari. It has the calamari steak, pepper, tomato, mushroom, and herbs. The flavor paired up nicely, not too overwhelming. As a matter of fact, for a Spring day, you feel quite refreshing.
Contrastly, I was eyeing the Osso Buco on the menu, which is on the other end of the spectrum. The flavors are heavier and sauces and the rice fills you up quicker. The meat you can tell that they had slowed cooked for a decent amount of time, as it falls off the bone when you touch it with your fork. Ironically, the meat wasn't as flavorful as the calamari, or how it looked. I did finished all the rice, but just can't bring myself to finish the meat. I know, I'm eating the cheaper part of the dish, definitely not getting my money's worth there.

I think, compare to Ouisie's, while that is for sure an established institution, the Bird and the Bear has potential. I am still bias to Ouisie's just because the combination of food, service and atmostphere, all matched up perfectly. Here at this location, while it is still in the area of River Oaks, you are right next to the party city of Chuy's, finding parking can be a stressful challenge. The decor is modern and neat, but it doesn't make you feel like you step into a tranquail place to have a meal as Ouisie's does.

I saw that they have Happy Hour Tapas Menu, so I may go back for that. It looks enticing and definitely wouldn't mind going back.

The Bird and the Bear
reservations is recommended
2810 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77098
713.528.BIRD
http://thebirdandthebearbistro.com/home.html

No comments: