Thursday, December 13, 2018

QJD Peking Duck

I knew about a new Peking Duck place in town.
So took the opportunity to take my mom there for her birthday lunch.
As you sit down, they give you 2 freebies: picked daikon with veggies.
And spiced duck wings, claws and head.  
For balance sake, we got some veggie: snow pea leaves stir fried with garlic.
Here's the main event: duck. I ordered their 'combo' for 2.  Which has the duck.  I have to say, it's nicely done, not too dry, the skin is crispy and flavorful.
Hoisin sauce (a must when it comes to Peking Duck), scallion (top), and cucumber (bottom).
Pancakes.  I was telling my mom that I remembered them to be thicker in the past or at other places.  This is practically crepe thin.
Viola!  Final product, pancake, sauce (hidden), scallion, cucumber, meat.  You roll them up and eat.  I think every cuisine has a version of this.  There's Fajita, Vietnamese Spring Roll, Korean has grilled meat roll, Chinese has bao, Italian has calzone... you get the idea, something you wrap meat and veggie in the middle.

For the price for 2, it is ok given the duck quality was good.  Not counting the veggie, the rest came with the 'combo'.  You can definitely ala carte, either for more, or to do without some of it.  Otherwise, the set works out.  I even had extra duck to bring home.  

Looking around, I also see alot of people order their Dan Dan Noodles, and maybe that's on the list next time.  The menu is a tad all over the place because there are stuffed jalapeƱo, agedashi tofu, and other Chinese food.  Their main menu is less duck-centric, there are other dishes too.

However, if you are going with a bigger party, I highly recommend you go for the Combo 1, which is the Duck 3 ways.  They do the duck by it's entirety, from skin to bone.  The skin is obviously with this part of the pancake eating, then they do the skin, and then they use the bone to make soup, which is very flavorful.  I haven't had it here yet, but worth trying if the rest of the dishes are as skilled as the duck.

For lunch you can make a reservation if you'd like.  For dinner however, reservation is highly recommended.  It took them a while to get our duck ready, so I can only imagine when it's busy how much longer it takes.

Peking Duck
5901 Westheimer Rd
Ste N
Houston, TX 77057
713-953-9999
https://www.uspekingduck.com

No comments: