Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Tavola

Went to Tavola for dinner.
It took over the Phillippe's old spot on Post Oak.

Cute little menu.

Amuse bouche - little bread twists and olives.

I got the Palowma - it's a zero proof version of Paloma.  But the Bitters made it more bitter than I liked.  I get what they're trying to do, they tried to have these zero proof 'liquor' but I just really want something that's not supremely sweet just because it is virgin. 

Carpaccio Classico - raw beef slices aged 24 months with slices of parmesan on top, some arugula and some oil, editable flowers, and little dollop of pea sauce.  This is actually pretty lovely, I'd like this enough that wouldn't mind coming back for this.

Then we ordered Oyster Carbonara - not my jam, it's different.  The oyster they used are too little so it became more sauce and bacon bites than really oyster.  I would pass on this one.

This is their Grilled Octopus - this one I like it ok.  The texture is fine, but the sauce was a tad cold by the time they got to us. 

Got the Pappardelle with shredded Texas Wild Boar and mushroom with red wine ragu sauce.  It's not bad, but it's not as flavorful as I'd hope it'd be.  You can tell the pasta is made in house, and the meat is of quality, but the flavor is not all there.  It's like the picture doesn't match the flavor. 

We got a Torte to share, that's pretty decent.

It's a nice celebration plate of ice cream for birthday, but would've been nice if it mix that with our torte.

We also had tiramisu.  This taste good but it's drier than I'd like.  


Got a cup of the decaf and took them way longer to get.

At first, I thought this is an upscale kinda place, the price is high, but it's not busy.  Not only that, their service is slow.  That's silly since they are not fully seated.  Also since that's the case, seating us in a 2-seater table next to a column was awkward.  

At any rate, nice decor, I think every one from the bartender to the host had pitched in to help at some point, that was weird.  But they weren't busy, so sure why not?!  I can tell if they cannot seated by 75% anyway.

Tavola
1800 Post Oak 
Ste 100
Houston TX 77027
713-840-1111

 

No comments: