Sunday, August 16, 2009

HRW: Cavatore

Despite it's annoying website. This is a truly unique place. Who would've thought this transitioning neighborhood would have a neat little place like Cavatore? This is right on Ella near TC Jester. You can't miss it, it is actually a Texas Style barn. I wouldn't say it's the traditional red barn, but it's more like a old house that has add-ons throughout the years.

When we arrived, there's a bar and a side room, several side rooms and a main room where the pianist was playing. The whole set up was kinda weird, we were seated in a room that has 4 tables comfortably, right next to their skinny wine room. The entire set up was very kitchy, not the old mod way but Italian plus Texas mix. There's art work, photos, news clipping of random stuff, stained glass windows and several other memorabilia.

I once again did the Houston Restaurant Week prix fixe. I was told that their table-side Caesar was a must, which by the way, if you're the only person that ordered it, they will not make it table side, but I will say that it's fresh and it tasted it. The main course I ordered the Veal Marsala. I haven't had anything Marsala for the longest time. It was pipping hot, there were 4 small medallions of veal, and I do mean small. There were more mushrooms than veal, and there was more sauce to cover the entire plate to where I can't see if there's any meat left on the plate. They also on the side has asparagus or spinach. I also didn't know that they were going to bring out a small side of rigatoni with tomato sauce.

Of course, the place was famous for their Tiramisu, so I had to have it. It's good, but I didn't think it was any better or worst than the Tiramisu I had from Carrabas.

Overall, I think the food is decent. Not the best Italian I've ever had, but not the worst either. I like it fine, which is what alot of review I've read had said. My thing is that, by the glance of the menu, it's definitely a place that wants to be fancy, they have their own sunroom for crying out loud. On the other hand, the menu prices is way too high for the ktich and normal Italian food you get. This is definitely something you take out-of-town family and friends to, but not really for that price.

The pianist was awesome, they will play top 40 songs to Broadway songs... that's really set the mood. The place is totally causal like the neighborhood despite the price tag. They say you should make a reservation, but on a weekday, you definitely don't need one. On a Friday/Saturday, it may be a possibility of it being full, but it wouldn't be a long wait, because they do have tons of tables. Just a matter of hanging out for a little while.

Cavatore Italian Restaurant
2120 Ella Blvd.
Houston, TX 77008
713-869-6622
http://www.cavatoreitalianrestaurant.com/

No comments: