Wednesday, August 19, 2009

HRW: Post Oak Grill Uptown

This is my 5th Restaurant Week venture... I haven't heard much about Post Oak Grill but they are quite reputable in Houston, so figured it can't really go wrong. The only complaint is the traffic. I had forgotten about the constructions on San Felipe between 610 & Post Oak Blvd. It makes getting there a little more stressful than it's necessary.

That said, once I got there, we got top treatment. My friend and I both started w/ a drink, she got the Chocolate Cake Martini that really has the cake taste to your pallet. I had a glass of wine.

Then on to our prix fixe:

Both of us had the tomato salad instead of the soup. While I'm a big fan of crab meat and welcome that in a salad, I'm just not a big fan of corn something-or-another soup. The dressing was like yet tasty, so no complaint here. My friend did say that she wished she had a tad more dressing w/ her salad, which I can totally understand without having to lick the plate. Then we got the Intermezzo which was a papaya sorbet, which was nice, because cleansing my pallet or not, it's telling me that I'm prepared for the next exciting taste to come.

For our entree' both of us went in different directions. I had wanted to surf and turf, and instinctively, that's what I would've gone for, but the idea of Duck Confit in a crepe just too curious to give that a try. So, I did. My Roasted Airline chicken actually tasted better with the skin on to capture the flavor than off. By itself, the chicken tasted dry, but with the oil and the skin it's brings out the flavor that didn't get to seep in all the way to the meat. The Duck Confit was interesting. There weren't enough fat for the duck, but it's wrapped in crepe and soaked in wine sauce. It just has a good nice easy going taste to go along w/ the duck.

Then onto our dessert: my friend ordered the banana foster and bread pudding, while I got my lavendar creme brulee' and chocolate souffle'. To my friend's disappointment, she didn't see the banana foster part of the desssert, we weren't sure if it wasn't brought out, or it was supposed to be mixed in. Her bread pudding, however, was good. While, I had 2 distinct little plates for mine. The Chocolate Souffle was dryer than I'd like. Plus, aren't the feature of souffle is that you poke the top and it deflates to late the air out? Mine was hard as a rock and it did crumbled. But my creme brulee' did not disappoint. It has a nice texture and the scent of lavender enhance my taste more than interrupting it. I'm a big fan of creme brulee' if it's a different way to present this old classic I'm definitely welcome the change.

As with my dining tradition, I also had a cup of cappuccino to go w/ my dessert, and the nice people at Post Oak Grill was kind enough to give me a biscotti. It was orange biscotti dipped on both end, one with white chocolate and one w/ milk chocolate. However, when I dipped it into my cofee, it quickly came apart. So, that was interesting.

When we got to paying our bills, our server gave us another chocolate chewy cookie. It was nice texture, like and fluffy and chewy all at the same time. I can deal with that anytime.

Overall, the place is fancy, service is top notch, they are not in a hurry and neither are you, type of place. They do let us take our time, as do their diners often are... taking their time; of course, to enjoy their fine meal. They do have a pianist to play mood music but not too loud where you felt like it's taking away from the meal.

They do have a bar next door, and while I haven't checked that out looks like it's nice and I can imagine to food to be just as good. Parking is not as easy to dicepher during peak hours, since it is shared w/ the office buildings nearby, I would suggest paying the $3 for valet, that way it's one less thing you have to worry about.

Post Oak Grill - Uptown
1415 S. Post Oak Lane
Houston, Texas 77056
713-993-9966
www.PostOakGrill.com

No comments: