Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day - a tad late

So, for St. Patrick's Day, I did a batch of green macaron. This is a part of a special experiment. But before I tell you what it was, I want to tell you why this batch is special.

For this batch, I made it w/ a tbsp of matcha green tea, and the middle was with a dark chocolate. The ganache also had a special secret ingredient. I put a tsp of wasabi. When I gave it to people to try, most of them did not notice the wasabi at all. To those who detected it, said that it was so subtle that they didn't know until I said something.
I have tasted it several times myself, and truly, you can't taste it at all. Mainly because the chocolate I used was so dark, that by the time I added cream, it was still pretty dark. So, that's what most people tasted.

The other parts of the experiment was to learn how to pipe better and different shaped than circle. Don't get me wrong, circle is still cute and classic, but the clover was my attempts.

The last part of the experiment was to use Eggology egg white instead of natural eggs. Here's my take on that. I did the measurement recommended by the packaging, however with that is too little. So little that my whisk from my KitchenAid didn't even touch it. Otherwise, it does whip up like egg whites do. At first, to me, that's great, because then I don't have to waste all the egg yolks. But, it just acts funny, no matter how hard I whip them it won't stiff up. Also, when I tried to fold in the almond meal/icing sugar mixture, it got runny instead of magma-like, so that's not going to work. Guess I'm back to natural eggs... and better get me some egg yolk recipes too.

No comments: