Monday, March 21, 2011

Ruggles Grill

For my birthday, I decided to go to Ruggles the original location. I would say that I haven't been there since pre-renovation. At least over 8 years that I remembered...

Ruggles, to me, is always a classy place and it's definitely a special occasion place. I picked it for my birthday not only to revisite after all these years and to check out how it has changed. Also to re-live the fancy-ness of the place. To drink in the atmosphere.

To my surprise, the magic was not really there for me anymore. I'm not sure if it's because of where we sat, which faces the door directly and also a back room away from everyone else. Or if it's because the place seems tighter than it used to be. For a Thursday night, albeit it was a party night, it was not as lively as one of the other Ruggles locations.

Food is still good. Not great, I actually love the Ruggles Green and Ruggles Bakery better for the price you pay. It wasn't as great of grilled food as I remembered it. I'm not sure if the tired-ness of the building or the segregation from the crowd that gave me that feeling. But both Bakery & Green seems to be livelier and more excited about the food.

That said, as I mentioned, food is still good. I had the pork chops, which is really 2 large chop steaks with a lot of seasonal vegetables. That's where the redemption comes in. The chops were a tad dry, but the potato au gratin and the mashed sweet potato were great. The asparagus and green beans were grilled to perfection. I know, it's absolutely silly to describe vegetable that way, but it's true.

Anyway, the place is still for the fancy even the decor seems tired. Their staff is still friendly and attentive. I do intend to give it another go, just to make sure I still feel the same. Of course, it does help that I got a gift certificate to return (bday gift from a friend). We'll try again and see.

Ruggles Grill
903 Westheimer
Houston, TX 77006
713-527-9400

No comments: