Thursday, March 24, 2011

Oh My Pocket Pie!



When I used to work at Sew Crafty, I often walk past the food truck of Oh My Pocket Pies!. And on my last day of the craft shop, the owner (Sarah) came back to the store with joy, and tons of pies to share.

What had happened was, since that was our last day, the OMPP peeps gave us a few pies to try and threw in a couple of salads too. Thank you!!!! You made a ton of crafty girls happy on that sad day of shop closing.

Anyway, it really is empanadas. If you've ever live close to a Hispanic area, you must know about the empanadas. It's little fried dumplings, but bigger, like a pie size. However, the folks at OMPP kick it up a notch. All their suppliers are Texas locals, which seems to be very much on trend w/ alot of the restaurants and food truck around town. Not to mention, they add their own little twist too.

In the picture is the Cuban. Let me tell you, I don't speak Spanish, but it's bueno! It's nice and gooey, but the flavor really hits you. We also tried the Twiced Baked Potato, Butternut Squash, and Chicken Renello. YUM! Don't worry, we cut all the pies in 1/2 for sampling sake. We're not that greedy!

What they don't tell you is that there are these secret special sauce that really brings out the flavor, not to mention cool down the pie some for immediate consumption. =D I forgot what I had, I think I just mixed and match the sauces just because I can. But, I dipped and dipped and I think I wanted to get a straw and drink it straight... ok, maybe not that much, but it was good.

If that seems to be too much fried food for you, they also have burger and salads on the menu. But from what I understand, the salad is more of a side salad size. That said, I had some of a mixed salad w/ oil & vinegar and it was yummy!

Go check them out, most of the time they are parked on 19th street by Ashland between buildings. But either follow them on twitter or check their site for the most updated info.

Oh My Pocket Pies!
Wed - Sat in the Heights
11am - 3pm (or later)
339 West 19th Street, 77008

No comments: