Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Nippon

It has been a while since I've eaten at Nippon.
I've learned that if their small parking is full, don't give up, go across the street and park the back street and short walk across.

We got the Yuzu Ceviche, it's such an obvious choice, but often overlook.  They do have great fresh fish here.  It has salmon, snapper, octopus, cilantro, pickled cucumber, yuzu juice and olive oil.  I'm loving the combo, not at all fishy, as a matter of fact, very refreshing.  Highly recommend.
Grilled Shishame - aka smelt fish.  It's actually very good, don't think just because it's small.  There's bones but since it's so soft that it's kinda ok if you accidentally swallow them.  This is an excellent drinking snack.
Agedashi tofu - just because I love my fried tofu with bonito flakes.
This is Gindara - not my favorite this trip.  It is black cod marinated in fermented sake paste.  I was hoping it's be more flavorful, but I didn't taste any of the sake paste.  It is a nicely done/cook piece of fish, but flavor-wise was lacking.
Vegetable Tempura, just because we needed some 'green' on the table.  Haha.
Butabara Kushiyaki - which is pork belly skewers.  Sadly this one doesn't have much flavor either, slightly disappointing on that one.
Unagi sushi - just because it's one of my favorite.

Overall, tip is that if you're coming during dinner time, it's not a bad idea to make a reservation.  This once neighborhood mom and pop joint is now busier than ever.  I love coming here because the owner and his son are both there to make sure the food quality is there.  The servers are always hustling and have to keep up with the volume.  Don't get discourage with the parking, they do have valet, but sometimes they can't help with the overflow either.  Just go across the street, park on the street.  Of course, obey the appropriate signs.

Nippon Sushi
4464 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006
713-523-3939
https://www.nippon-sushi.com

No comments: