Thursday, November 16, 2023

Hui Lau Shan

I know Hui Lai Shan has been opened a while, finally gotten around to go.
Mainly because on weekends, the lines are crazy long, and just don't have the patience. 

Came on a weekday, it was much more tolerable and easy going.  So, what did I ordered?

First, got the mango pudding . Growing up, I do remember having this, and you pour the condensed milk over (in the container) it to add flavor and texture.  Very flavorful not too sweet but definitely have the mango flavor coming thru, and mini mango chunks too.

This is the red bean soup.

Growing up, definitely to not recall having mochi inside the red bean soup.  Also the bits of flower were not in the soup too.  Mainly it's adzuki beans and the remnants of it after being cooked for hours.  This one the texture is too light and the mochi took up more than the red beans.  Cannot say that I like it even though I'm a huge red beans fan. 

Then I got the Mango Pomelo Sago dessert.  It comes with mochi and a scoop of ice cream, like I needed any motivation.  I think with mochi and the ice cream is alot seeing how they give you big chunks of mango already.  The dessert tastes good, but again felt like too much.  I think for this dish, Sweethoney in Katy did a better job.  Not necessary the size is smaller, but with all these extra stuff kinda got in the way, and I couldn't tell if I actually gotten any sago in there.

Since I wasn't sure, I went ahead and ordered a drink.  This also has a scoop of ice cream on top, with chunks of mango and a layer of sago in the middle.  This is kinda like a parfait more than a drink.  But it worked nonetheless.  Instead of boba tea, this is chunky mango drink, does the trick.  Every sip has mango so I liked it for that reason.

Hui Lau Shan is a popular brand in Hong Kong.  Once upon a time, they are in every street corner.  They truly started as a street vendor that sells various teas for busy people who has no time to make it at home.  Those were prevalent when I was little.  But overtime, they added dishes and what not and became a sit down dessert shop.  Story goes, the 2 sons were to inherit the family's business.  One of them took his share and gambled it as way but also sold alot of franchise in Asia.  The other one worked his bones to maintain the family name in the business.  And when it comes to head that they cannot agree on the business, they both made the matter very ugly and public.  At one point, all the HLS were shops were closed.  Alas, a third party swooped in and continued the business and allow for franchises out of Asia and now we have this. 

This is definitely not what I remember Hui Lau Shan to be.  The dessert variations were based on sago and the variety of it - they have hot and cold dishes, coconut, ube, watermelon, cantaloupe... etc.  But this generation is all based on mango.  Not that I'm complaining, I like mango and if it's available, I go straight towards it, but that's definitely not how I remember them.   On its own, it's fine, nice to have option close by, because my other options are to go to Mango Mango or Mia's Goodies.  

Hui Lau Shan
9889 Bellaire Blvd
Ste C317
Houston, TX 77036
713-234-7719

 

No comments: