Friday, April 19, 2013

Durian Macaron

So a friend of mine is getting married and she asked if I can make some macarons, one of the unusual request: 
Yep, you got it, Durian.  It's very much an Asian thing, but personally, I'm not a big fan, never was.  Not that I haven't tried the fruit itself, but just not a fan of it.
You can easily find that flavor at the Chinese grocery store, but I use the yellow gel coloring to make a distinction.
See, it's pretty bright here...
Unfortunately when it bakes, it muted the colors.  So if you want it more bright, add more color.  Sadly couple of them cracked.
I had done the fillings ahead of time.   You mix 1/3 cup of heavy cream, mixed with 3 oz of white chocolate, 1 tsp of butter (room temp), 1/4 tsp of the flavoring.  Since it's pretty strong scented and what not, go easy on the flavoring is best.

You put the white chocolate (cut in chunk or chip form) in a glass bowl.  Heat up the cream until it bubbles.  Pour over the white chocolate, and drop in the butter.  Stir part way and then add the flavoring.  Then stir until no more chocolate or butter in sight.  If you want to add coloring, like I did here, this is a good time.  I kept using the gel but if you have it in drops that works pretty well too.

Put it in the fridge and put a layer of saran wrap on top of the chocolate, and I mean literally on top of it touching, so that it will not create a layer or skin.  Then put it in the fridge.  I usually do this part a day or two in advance so that the chocolate will have time to solidify.
You can use the star tip like I did, above, it gives a wavey shape from the side.  I squeeze the 2 cookies together and voila!  Here you go!

It was a hit at the party, I'm surprise that almost most of them cookies were gone.

No comments: