Monday, August 18, 2014

HRW: 60 Degrees Mastercraft

This year we weren't really inspired by the list, there are a few restaurants that I'd like to try.  So I was lucky enough to join a well known Houston Foodie, Joanne Witt.  
I've heard alot about 60 Degrees, so it was serendipitous to go there.
 I know this sounds silly, but this is the best, most proportioned Arnold Palmer, I've ever had.  Come to find out because the sommelier made it for me.  It was perfect to taste... and you can tell someone else made it for the subsequent refills. 
 For my first course, I was tempted by the Oyster Gratine, and this is it.  The oyster has very little to desire for, but the sauce and the crawfish and andouille mix is delicious.
 This was Joann's first course, which was beef carpaccio with arugula with parmesan and bread.  It was delicious. 
 My second course is spiced watermelon and tomato salad.  I will tell you that the watermelon wasn't ripped enough, and if it's not for the feta that mixed well with the tomato, I would've send this back.  
 Joanne's second course was their take of Southwest Cesare... no offense, but it doesn't attract me visually, my stomach is probably not going to like it either.  It's a classic: eye eat first syndrome.
 This was my main entree: Akaushi Bistro Steak.  Apparently, the Akaushi is the Kobe of US.  I took it medium well and it was done well.  I actually quite liked the mashed potato and the veggie.  I know, steak and potato is hard to mess up, but I liked my dish.
 This is Joanne's entree: that is the catch of the day.  The tilapia was more salted than normal.  The risotto was delicious though... 
 My dessert: Chocolate Truffle Cake.  It was supposed to come with ice cream, but as you can see, it's been sitting there for the ice cream to have melted and the cake wasn't anything special that I can't get elsewhere.  Sadly, I've had better molten chocolate cake at Chili's than this... sigh, so disappointed.
This was the Frozen Orange Souffle.  It is in a citrus soup of some kind, which kept the souffle chilled.  The thing is not a real souffle, and while the soup is good on its own, this souffle is good on its own, but together is not that great. 

Overall, I'm kinda disappointed with the experience overall.  This restaurant's menu was very hopeful for me, and the real thing wasn't as I had hope was a downer.  The service seems to be good, we had a guy that's shadowing our server, and while I appreciate that, there are some etiquette stuff they weren't paying attention to, such as reaching across to serve the dish or grab a dirty fork.  That was kinda awkward.  Not to mention the side room they put us make conversation very difficult when a larger party is seated.  So, I would've liked to sit in the main dining room next time.

60 Degrees Mastercraft
2300 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77019
713-360-7757
http://60degreesmastercrafted.com/

No comments: