Wednesday, August 27, 2014

HRW: Caracol

For my 3rd Restaurant Weeks selection: Caracol.
Been meaning to try them, since I'm a big fan of Hugo's.  They made special menus for the event.  And it's broken down in Ocean Lover (which is seafood centric), On dry Land (which is mostly meat centric), Vegetarian option, and Our Style (which feature their best dishes).
While waiting, I got a mojito.  The bartender did a great job on that.  I highly recommend it.
While we were waiting, we got a dozen of oysters.  They chipotle butter isn't all that, it tasted better without it.  But I will say the oyster is fresh.  The price is very reasonable too!
Comparatively, this is the Wood-Grilled Oyster.  It is also great pricing.  However, the cheese kind of over empowered the oyster.  If you like to mask the oyster taste, this may be the right dish for you.
This is our Amuse Bouche, which is Gazpacho Rojo.  Which is pretty salty and spicy.  Obviously tomato, cilantro, onion, and bits of seafood.  It went very well with the corn chips they provided.  
First course is conch, pineapple, ginger, red jalapeno, and cilantro.  It's very fresh, and mix with the sweetness of pineapple, it went together very well.  I would definitely get this again.
This is the main entree, which is catch of the day (I forgot to ask what it was), on top of tomatillo sauce.  The sauce really highlighted the crispy fish.  It wasn't dry at all.  My only thing is the pickled shallot and pepper.  I'm not a pickled and peppered person, so needless to say, I stuck with the tomatillo sauce.
For dessert, I got the rum roasted pineapple on top of pistachio cake topped with coconut ice cream.  We all liked the coconut ice cream quite a bit.  The pineapple slice on top was new to us.  But wish there's a bigger piece of the pistachio cake.  It was quite small by the time you cut into it. 

Overall, the dishes were delicious and fresh, and I can definitely appreciate that.  My friends and I were just commenting that after you ate all those courses, you don't feel so weighed down and heavy that you feel the need to be wheeled to your car.  You still feel full, but without the rich and heaviness of a big meal.  

The dinning room does fill up quickly, so reservation is a must.  Parking was tricky, you don't readily see the self park in the garage.  So, some of us parked there.  Took a ticket, went to the designated parking.  Walked back down, and have the hostess validate as you exit after your meal.  Versus, they do have complimentary parking, which of course, you need to tip the drivers.  I wish the signs were more clear that it is complimentary.  Or, that the self park directions were clearer. 

My only problem with their HRW menu, which is the same issue I have with Hugo's HRW, is that they limit one dish per course, and they already pre-defined what each meal would be.  So, it limits your choices.  I like how the other participating restaurants allow you 2 to 3 dishes per course to choose from.  So, even though, it is prix fixe, at least you have some wiggle room.  One thing to point out too is that, they are proud to provide gluten free option, yet, they cannot compose an entire HRW prix fixe with all gluten free dishes like they did for the Vegetarians.  So, that's something to think about.

Caracol
2200 Post Oak Blvd
Houston, TX
713-622-9996
http://caracol.net/

No comments: