Monday, June 17, 2019

State of Grace

Finally made it to State of Grace!
Literally driven by it for years.  The space was converted from the old dry cleaning shop in the River Oaks Shopping Center.
Got an Austin East-cider's Orange Cider, perfect for a humid day.
Since we were catching the tail end of Happy Hour, got the $1 oysters, mostly from Louisiana and Alabama.  You really can taste the difference.  Of course, everything is as fresh as can be.  Wouldn't mind coming earlier next time, or order to there ones they have to offer.
This is the Crab Hushpuppies.  Not really used to having sweetness to hushpuppies, granted, it is open to interpretation, but my taste buds needed a moment to register.  I will say the cane syrup butter was pretty amazing, but I would save that for the bread.
This is fried squash, which has a honey sauce, again, took my brain a moment to register the sweet and the savory mix.  The texture, honestly reminded me of a squash gnocchi, I tasted that texture more than the squash on that one.
For entree, I got the Orecchiete which is the wild boar bolognese.  The sauce is delicious, the meat is plentiful.  Every bite, there's an equal amount of sauce/pasta/meat.  Of course, by this point, I had stuffed myself silly on the hushpuppies and the squash, didn't get to finish the plate.  And it's not a big plate.
To top it off for dessert, we got the creme brûlée.  Very vanilla-y with a piece of chocolate cookie.
On the way out, don't forget to stop back by at the hostess station and grab a mini cream pie to go.  The cookie was cinnamon-y, I saved it for the next day since I stuffed myself silly this evening.

Reservation is highly recommended.  If you go on a week day there's more business dinners going on that I can tell.  There are self parking in the back of the building.  If you were to street park, which we did see a few of those.  Make sure you read the signs to avoid being towed.

State of Grace
3258 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77098
832-942-5080
http://stateofgracetx.com

No comments: