Monday, February 21, 2022

Dough by Mo - cookie decorating class

Since earlier we were all cooped up with these whiplash weather changes, it's nice to sit in the warm sun and do a decorating class.  Going to warn you, this is picture heavy.

The class is done by cookie maker - Dough by Mo, whom I met during Covid first got everyone into lockdown.

I'm aware that she's doing these cookie decorating classes, but I'm often too slow to snatch a spot, and finally catch them this round.  

We get 6 cookies, piping tool, icing for piping, and of course, photo guide.

First up: gum ball machine.

Didn't know flooding is a thing, and it' can come out nicely.

Of course, it's all nice and I had to add stuff to it to ruin it.  Sigh.  I swear that pink heart is not a leper.  

Then we did the rose.

We had pink on pink, came up kinda cute, I just didn't know what to do to make the edges looks smoother.

Now that you can see the 'flower', it makes more sense.  It was funny, she was telling us that we don't have to draw a perfect swirl but that's the exact thing my hand tries to do, very poorly but tried.

Then we have an envelope.  This one was harder to see the separations.


Had to have a lot of guides on this one.

Well, it sorta looks like an envelope with hearts.  Not exactly but sorta.

Then a cute stamp.  This one's difficulties as you have have guessed is the edges.  It is very hard to start and stop.  Unlike a straight line, you can definitely not do a single line.

Doing the flooding for different parts are fun though, I won't lie.

As they say, send it with live, here you go. 

Then comes the lips - except I was supposed to have some kind of dip to make it more nature... doesn't quite look like it.

Top half.  I like the extra touch of having that white tear drop to show shiny.

Bottom half, similarly has the sideway i to make it looks shiny.

This is one of my favorite.  You first flood the cookie, then quickly put lines on top of it...

Then, using the tool to drag it upwards or downwards.  Much like paper making when you try to do marbling.  

It came up with this up and down pattern, pretty.  Even though I didn't do a good job, I appreciate the cookies decorating bit that much more.

Alright here's all of them together.  Took fully 2 hours.

I will say, the instructions was action packed.  Mainly because the icing dries quickly, but also because from an expert's point of view, you need to work some of these quickly to achieve the best results.  A lot of the ladies were confused that she had us start on one, finish part way and start on another.  There were a lot of changing gears and folks were a bit flustered either because they're not working at her speed or that they are so focused that they fell behind as the teacher was changing gears.

My suggestion when taking these classes, go with the flow.  Leave any Type A personalities behind.  It'll all come out tasty.

Dough by Mo
https://www.doughbymo.com


No comments: