Thursday, June 2, 2011

Macaron Class - SurLaTable

So, as the macaron week goes, here's my review for the class taken at Sur La Table.

First of all, disclaimer, I have had lessons from Sur La Table before, as a matter of fact the same teacher. And I like the teacher alot. She has alot of skills in French cooking/baking, and she has also worked w/ big name restaurants and internationally known hotel chains. So, needless to say, in terms of experience, she has plenty. And her skills are working skills that is definitely in use in the practical world instead of the theory/school world.

That said, I've had another macaron class from her and this store before. I find that tips were very helpful. Overall, I would say, I was never disappoint in this class. I know that the teacher not only has working knowledge, she herself had made these on a regular basis to know how to troubleshoot problems.
Luckily, not alot of problems to be had. Lesson still covered the basic principles of making this type of finicky cookies, and she made it looked effortless. Also helpful that every question I asked (usually are issued I've encountered and failed), she was able to offer good ways to either counter-act or troubleshoot. I love that!
The next question, naturally is of course, why would you take another class if you've already done it? It's the same teacher, same place, what is there to learn that you don't already found out from your failure attempts. Well, of course, I want the different recipes. I will say that I've worked so much to just make the shell perfect that I often forget the filling. Of course, I was too lazy too, that doesn't help. So, learning new recipes to keep things fresh. And the other reason is of course I can ask all the questions I want.
This class we made Banana Custard Cream mac, Hazelnut shell with praline buttercream, pistachio with chocolate ganache, and chocolate w/ salted caramel. Of course, after learning that I can buy the caramel premade at Central Market, I'm not very motivated to do it the long way. It's definitely a good to know, but chances of me making that at home is slim. It takes alot of skill on that one, and maybe I'll cheat for the time being.

The class is so well received that they often have to have a wait list to sign up, and for that reason, they are adding new classes and also bringing back their 2nd in the series. I highly recommend taking a class.

Sur La Table
www.surlatable.com

No comments: