Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Phillipe


So our friends C&L came back from South of France and totally missed it. One night they suggest get together and check out this hip spot. Mind you, out of the four of us, none of us are hip enough to go to a hip joint like Philippe. Don't get me wrong, not that we're hip, that's just not our usual go-to spots.

The decor of the restaurant is definitely catered to the yuppie crowd, wait, I think I'm in that category. Food wasn't as grand as I made it up to be in my head, but the presentation was flawless.

For appetizer, we shared the froi gras, and it was not gamey or liver-y. It tasted like a very freshly made pate'.
For entree, I had gotten the Strewn Lamb. It was very filling and the couscouse was delicatable. Apparently, there's pumpkin taste in there, but I didn't tasted that. I did taste the apricot and dates in the couscous.

For dessert, the photo above is the Grand Marnier crepe souffle. Since I know how to make it, the mystery was out for me.
For my dessert, it was an off the menu item. That is a lavender creme brulee with fried banana. It just looked like a deconstructed creme brulee. It does have a scoop of ice cream on top. And a cookie at the bottom with foam on the side. The banana was likely crisped, nothing too fancy or heavy.

Overall, the service was nice and as expected. The crowd is mixed even though the decor indicated that this is to cater to the hip crowd. I think if you enjoy good food, you will enjoy it here. The price overall is not outrageous for the food you get. I wouldn't mind if they give me less food, sounds crazy, but true. Good cuisine.

Philippe's Restaurant
1800 Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
713-439-1000
Reservations strongly recommended

No comments: