Friday, June 24, 2011

Toyama

Honestly, I think Toyama is the most overlooked, most understated restaurant situated at the best part of town. Located on Westheimer between Alabama and Shepherd. Of course, the challenge is that there are at least 4 restaurants that serves sushi that I can think of within a 3 miles radius.

Toyama is owned by the same owner that opened Osaka down on Westheimer & Montrose and another location on Holcomb and Stella Link. How you can tell is that when you sit down they immediate dazzle you with tons of freebies.

The first time I went there, I was sitting at the sushi bar. After I placed my order, they brought out a crispy fried yummy goodness (I think it's a stuffed bell pepper). And couple pieces of sushi du jour (see above). But because I was sitting there by myself, the sushi chef took pity and served me some pickled salad of sort. Not to mention, when I was paying my bill, they offered me ice cream w/ a slice of fried banana (the banana is not available at the other Osaka locations).

When I returned w/ family, they still served the crispy yummy-ness, the pieces of sushi and ice cream. So I now learned that when I order to take those into account. The first time, I ordered and ordered because my eyes were bigger than my stomach already, and on top of them serving their complimentary goodies, someone had to roll me out of there.
What I have here is an Osaka Roll for you to drool over. It is crab and mango rolled inside with eel and avocado on the outside. The mango was not so strong that you can't taste the other flavor. But seeing that it has eel and obviously eel sauce to follow, you know it'll be sweet already, so mango flavor got lost there a bit, but it's not all lost.

The other times I order their Lobster Tuna roll which was fresh. I've tried the Houston Roll too, which was spicy because I forgot it has jalapeno in it. Philly Roll you can tell the salmon is fresh. Like I said, understated by the masses. Similar items are served at both Osaka locations, and definitely have the complimentary items for sure!

Toyama
2802 S. Shepherd Dr.
Houston, TX 77098
(713) 528-8528
http://toyamahouston.com/

No comments: