Monday, December 2, 2013

Haven - Thanksgiving 2013

Every Thanksgiving, friends and I go out to eat.  It is a tradition that started years ago, where a few of us don't have family in town, and have this one day off in the middle of the week, and we have to work during Black Friday, so might as well get something good to eat.
As I said, every year we managed to go somewhere different.  We haven't had a repeat yet.  This year, we ended up at Haven.  It's been a while since we've been there. 
 This is our amuse bouche: which was deviled eggs, which weren't too deviled.  And pimento cheese on celery.  I have to say, I'm not a fan of celery, but the cheese on top, it was truly good, and I wouldn't mind my celery that way.
 First course, I had the seafood salad, which had crab and shrimp on top of fried green tomato, and salad in the middle with some cheese sprinkled on top.  The fried green tomato is so green that the texture is almost like apple.  I hardly can taste the acidity from the tomato.
 Since there's so many good things, we ordered and split.  The one shown here is the pork loin and fried pork belly with sweet potato.  The pork loin is very good, surprisingly the fried pork belly was only so-so.
 What's Thanksgiving without Turkey, Mashed Sweet Potato, Cranberry sauce and sides?  The turkey was not bad, but I was so stuffed that can't really appreciate its flavors.
Not to mention, we have to save room for dessert.  I got the coconut tres leche bread pudding.  Sounds decadent.  I didn't expect the marshmallow fluff there, there were a bit more fluff than I care to enjoy.  So, I ended up having to wipe some off.  The coconut flakes and the bread pudding was nice... I wouldn't mind if that was a bit bigger.

Overall, the experience was enjoyable.  For $55 per person, all of us were fed well, and some of us managed to take stuff home.  The seating was a bit weird.  They told me that I can't have the 11:30a seating so we took the one before, and of course when 11:30a rolls around, there were tons of emptied tables.  I thought that was quite rude.  It is not until almost 12:30p that the tables started to fill in.  Not sure if they were doing that so they don't overwhelmed the kitchen, but thought that was weird.  Either way, if you were to come here, a reservation is highly recommended.  And bring some cash.  While valet is complimentary, it is the only parking available, you might want to tip them.

Haven
2502 Algerian Way
Houston, TX 
713-581-6101
http://havenhouston.com/special_events/Thanksgiving_2013.html

No comments: