Monday, November 19, 2018

Go Go Curry!

Rushed over to try Go Go Curry as early as the 3rd week of their opening.
Good thing we went right before the lunch crowd hit, found a good parking and no lines in the store.
True to Japanese fashion, they have sample food display of the dishes they have to offer.  Frankly, growing up, I've been seeing those at the restaurant windows, it is only coming to the States the seems to be out of fashion.
Actually, the store is tiny, so don't be surprise that you have to wait for a seat during peak meal time.  Cute mural, very 'Space City' of them.
Alright, what did I get: I got the vegetable tempura with my curry.  I happened to see that on their rotating menu, but the problem is the staff wasn't familiar and was surprised that I didn't order something with meat on it.  Granted, having a piece of fried meat with the curry and rice is delicious.  Sometimes, a girl just wanted some thing that's non-meat fried.  The cashier made the tempura sounded small, so I order 4 pieces, turned out it was tallied up by pieces.  It was $1.55 per piece.  I also got a side of shredded cabbage, which is very good to soak up with the curry sauce.   Basically for this medium sized dish cost over $9.  

The dish itself is not complicated but I was very much looking forward to the Japanese sweet curry.  This is sweeter than say Indian or Thai curry, but it's not as I had expected.  That's all good.  Tons of rice, which is perfect for the curry they gave you.  I ordered some cabbage as a side of vegetable, really.  But they turned out to be great for the curry as well.  To be honest, it is alot of one person, but seeing it's my first time, that's just a beginner's mistake.

My tip, either go with the pre-created dishes, which they have just curry and rice (that's original), with chicken, with sausage, with shrimp, with one of each plus egg, and more.  All of them come in Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large dish size.  Next time for me, I would've gotten a small size because medium size is a lot of rice.  Topping you can have extra sauce, or extra toppings, which is $1.55 per piece.

You will find alot of things that ends with 5.  For instance, the store hour is 10:55a - 9:55pm.  The reason is: in Japanese 5 is pronounced go, which is perfect for Go Go Curry, which can be viewed as 55 curry.  So much so that if you go there on the 5th, 15th, or 25th of the month, they'll have some kind of special or coupon for your next visit.  It's cute.


Go Go Curry
9889 Bellaire Blvd
C 317
Houston, TX 77036
281-888-3062
https://gogocurryamerica.com

No comments: