Wednesday, July 15, 2020

HK Dim Sum City

Had a hankering for dim sum, so I ordered pick up from HK Dim Sum City.
When I went in to pick up, they are only seating every other table, but definitely sparse.
What did I order: Char Siu Bao & Malay Cake (or Ma Lai Go)
Custard Egg Tart
Upper left, Turnip cake, Sesame ball (with adzuki bean filling).  Bottom: Fried Rice Noodle with dried shrimp (Cheung fun).

We also got: Sticky Chicken Rice wrapped in banana leaf.  Shrimp dumpling (Har Gow) and Shrimp & Pork dumpling (Siu Mai).  Those to me are classic dim sum dishes.  

I will say, this time is definitely off the mark.  The Har Gow and Siu Mai were ok.  The Cheung Fun would've been better with the oyster sauce, which was my fault for forgetting to pick up some.  The Sticky Rice was ok, the chicken was stuck in the inside, so porportionately, there were more rice than the filling, but at least tasted good.  Turnip cake is fine, Char Siu Bao (pork bun) is good.  

The sweets all went down from here... the Malay Cake is too dense and not fluffy.  It is a steamed cake and it was made to be fluffy, but it was dense and doesn't have much taste.  Then, Sesame Ball had too much mochi than filling.  The egg tart was so bad that I had to spit it back out, I have never done that before.  At first, I was afraid that my taste bud has changed because I was getting sick.  After checking with other family members, they also felt it was off.  So it wasn't just me, whew!

While the staff are always friendly and attentive, the food is definitely off base.  That's disappointing, because I used to refer people to come here, but now it feels unreliable.  Hope that was a one-off incident.

HK Dim Sum City
9889 Bellaire Blvd
#110
Houston, TX 77036
http://www.hkdimsumcity.com

No comments: