Tuesday, July 14, 2020

International Snack - Boba Pops

Here's a compare and contrast of Boba Pops.
So, on my friend's feeds on social media I saw people posting about these Boba Pops.

This is a Korean Brown Sugar Bubble Tea Bar - Babambar.
So, it is actually smaller than I'd expected, but that's ok, I don't need that much.  So, after many bites, I finally got to what I thought would be boba, which is towards the bottom.  It tasted more like grass jelly than boba.  

Then, here we have the Brown Sugar Milk Tea Boba bar.  It is so popular that even the Chicago Tribune wrote about it.  Made it Taiwan's Xiao Mei.
You can quickly see the difference. There is definitely the whole brown sugar thing going.  This is definitely different, you basically get a bit of boba when you first bite into it.  And through out the bar, there are bites of boba.  It is a tad sweeter than the other one, but I think the boba balanced it back.

So, the cost for both are about the same, it comes out to be about $2 per bar, each box comes with 4.   Some may think that's a lot but think about it: if you were to get a real boba tea, it is upwards of $4.  If you get a popsicle by itself at a convenient store or ice cream truck it is at least $3.50.  So, either way, you win.  I do blame my friend for turning me on to the Brown Sugar Bar, it is so good that I kept going back for it, except it's so hot that it's often sell out.  You can try your luck at any Asian Grocers.



No comments: