Monday, May 24, 2021

Acme Oyster House - Houston

Finally got a chance to visit the newly opened, highly acclaimed Acme Oyster House.
Hailed from New Orleans, I do wonder how this all works.

So glad they kept the theatre sign.  One of the few in Houston, and one of 4 inside the loop.

For drink, I got the Pear Mojito.  It's pretty sweet, which is totally to my taste.  So much so that I got second one.

Got Craw Puppies.  One of the best puppies I've had in a long time.  The filling does use true crawfish and you can see bits and chunks.  You don't feel like you're eating batter here.  On top of that, the remoulade sauce matches up perfectly.  Be sure to dip.

Chargrilled Oysters.  The server was just telling us that they do have fresh oysters but it's milky.  Well, in that case then let's to chargrilled.  They put cheese and butter sauce on it.  It's so good, I could do 6 more.... by myself.  YUM!

This is recommended to us by our server, the Butter Bean Plate.  I'm not a beans person, but it does taste very good.  The trick is that you do need to order the hot sausage to go with it, even though it already came with shrimp.  The flavors blend together well.  It does, however, have a very strong resemblance to red beans and rice, except this is lima beans and rice, but still worth checking it out.

The other dish we got was the Seafood Étouffée.  I like the roux, reminds me of the Japanese Curry texture (but not the flavor of course).  Our server taught us a trick and that is ask for the Chipotle Tabasco sauce, and mix it together.  Sure enough, without it is ok, but after adding it, the flavors kicks it up 5 notches.  If you order this, make sure to do that!

Let's talk timing.  First of all, they do not take reservations.  They look like they have a Waitlist on Yelp but that is not on whenever I checked.  So, still check the Waitlist, but do your homework.  I was reading on Yelp for folks that visited recently and have an idea what the wait situation would be.  We were supposed to meet up at 5:30p thinking folks would start early from Happy Hour.  I happen to arrive a few minutes before that, and the seating situation was 45 mins for inside table wait.  Bar, you're welcome to grab a free seat.  I happened to ask about outside seating which they have about 10 tables out there.  And grabbed one of the outside ones.  There are 3 on an upper step and 6-7 out by the side.  Don't worry there are a lot of sidewalks between your table to the curb.  When it rains, however, the wind will blow it over to you and you will get dashed with some rain.

Parking is also a similar story.  When I got there, there were a few spots to be had and I was too slow for them.  Do drive around the block and be sure to read the signs.  On the side of the building where Kung Fu tea faces, has a bunch of spots from a construction lot.  At night, no one is around and it's free for all.  I happen to found a spot behind the building.  Street parking is ok, be sure to look at the signs.

Acme Oyster House
1201 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX 77006
346-571-2071
closed Mon & Tues
https://acmeoyster.com/houston/





 

No comments: