Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Food Truck Fest - Angie Cakes

I've been meaning to try Angie's Cakes for a while now. Mostly because schedule is different or that they're in different part of town than I am. But I've heard good things about them.

Finally got a chance to visit them at Haute Wheel. I'm not going to lie, I had fun eating, but truly no one can eat and sample everything all of the truck has to offer in one setting. I'll elaborate more on the festival in another post, but let's talk cake!

I walked up to the truck, not a whole lot of visitors yet, it was still early. But their claim to fame is their cake balls. They have your standard flavor: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and red velvet. They are no bigger than 2/3rd of your palm. The outside is dipped in chocolate ganache, while the side is cake.

It's not particularly hard to do if you have a good recipe to work with. But, if you were to play with it, I recommend baking your cake, crush them up, and mixed in w/ cream cheese and shape it the way you want. The cream cheese will hold the shape and not destroy the cake texture, also not so overempowering where the taste of the cake can't come out. (for further research or reading, check out www.bakerella.com) When asked what is their best seller or their favorite, in unison both owners in the truck recommedned Ginger Beer. Alright, I know what you're thinking because I thought it too when I first heard their recommendation. Ginger Beer?


Here's the thing, I can be open minded about alot of stuff, but if you're not a Ginger lover, you'res just not. Not to mention ginger + beer together??? Well, basically, it tasted like ginger bread, but in a cake form. The outside is dipped in white chocolate ganached sprinkled w/ cinnamon. So, not quite a truffle where it's light and airy, but it's for sure a dessert that you can't eat just one bite.


Angie's Cake
http://www.angiescake.com/

No comments: