Friday, May 27, 2011

Food Truck - SoCo Wurst Texas


In the spirit of food truck, let's talk more ... about food truck! This time, it's in Austin, Texas. I'm not sure if it's the entrepreneur spirit or if it's poor college students being innovative, or what, but food truck has become a great way to get gourmet food, fast.

I was in Austin for a Craft Fair, and while driving down 1st street, I kept running into little food truck parks. Then, I remembered the huge empty lot on S.Congress (aka SoCo) has parked a few trucks there too. So, decided to go check them out.

I remember a while back, the only truck out there was snow cone truck, it seems appropriate, it was hot, there's sno-cone. On and off you see other truck park near it, then slowly, they become more and more permanent.


This round, I picked Wurst,Tex. Not only do they have the classic hot dog or pork bratwurst. They also have 2 Veggie version, so no one gets left out. For the gourmet lovers, there is a Mexican version (El Wursto), hunters version (Buckwurst), and spicy version (Pepperwurst). Of course, for the more adventurous, there are buffalo wurst (Bill's Pick), duck wurst (The Don), and rattlesnake + rabbin (Predator & Prey).... so appropriately named.

I got the Buckwurst, which was smoked venison and pork mixed w/ pepper and cheddar. I added ketchup and didn't want to add too much without trying it first. Mind you, they have 5 or 6 different types of sauce handy for your add-on conveniences.

It doesn't taste specially different on the venison. It does have a thicker texture when compares to other sausages. I can tell that's a more popuplar item, since behind me 3 other people also ordered the same thing. And I must say, that's a good choice! I was filled up, didn't feel hungry, it was well sized, and yummy, you can't beat that.

What else made it perfect was that they also offer Mexican Coke and Dublin Dr. Pepper... you just don't get that much around anywhere. I was so stuffed (and also wanting to save room for dessert) that I didn't get to try the french fries w/ truffle oil, but it sure sounded tempting.

Wurst Tex Grilled Sausages
1603 S. Congress
Austin, Texas 78704
512.827.8566
http://www.wursttex.com/

No comments: