Monday, May 23, 2011

Food truck Fest - It's a Wrap!

So, I know I'm a tad behind, but trust me, I got a schedule to get my posts out there... and soon. Don't you worry. LOL.

Let's see, the 'haute mess' of 2011, took place last weekend. In concept it's a great idea, instead of you running around town to all these awesome food trucks that are more like mobile haute cuisine, why not have them all at one spot. I thought of that too, until my friend Buffalo Sean told me about this weird law in Houston. That is, any mobile food truck carrying propane has to be 100 ft from each other. That would explain why the venue of HCC parking lot seems ideal.

That was made up of this production company that is obviously from a business class of some sort, read: none of these people actually ran an event, little to say an event like that. It's a great idea, but truthfully, no one would be able to eat ALL that good food in one setting. They do have great variety, but they didn't control the vendors very well. For instance, It's a Wrap (newcomer to the Food Truck scene) did not show up to the event until 1.5 hr after the gate has opened. Everyone was already well in line for other food trucks. If it's not for the famous fried mac and cheese ball, I wouldn't have bothered.

Throughout the week, as I post more stuff about the food trucks, I'll tell you how things can be better, but let's move on to the food, shall we?
So, It's a Wrap! it's unique that they are fusion of Indian and Mexican food, so it's not surprising to find a Bombay Taco, ironically, they also have Jerk Chicken and Thai lettuce wrap. Honestly, it sounds all over the place, but I wouldn't be so fast to judge until you tasted it. Maybe next time for me, because I was really there for the fried mac and cheese ball.

It was an interesting concept, it looks dainty and yet huge. That is until you tasted it. Whatever they breaded and fried with was super awesome and addictive. The mac and the cheese, however, was nothing to really write home about. It was no different than any mac and cheese you would make at home (no, not the box kind). I think they can use a better cheese and bring out the flavor more. Given that almost every gastropub has their own fancy mac and cheese, and there's a place in the Heights that just serve Mac and cheese; life is too short to eat boring mac and cheese.

I can't finish the entire ball of carb and bad cheese, so I dug thru the ball w/ the breading and the fried bits. Honestly, I think the wait was a big turn off, when you are already late and have to prep, which was pretty much 2 hrs behind everyone else, we had more hope than they deliver.

I wouldn't mind trekking them down and try them again. But, maybe no to the fried mac and cheese ball.

It's A Wrap! Bistro
www.facebook.com/ItsAWrapTruck

No comments: