Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Food Truck Fest - Eatsie Boys

I have long heard about how great the Eatsie Boys are. I finally got my first taste at the Sweet and Savory dinner back in April.

I remember that I had the Pork Snuggie, and boy it was yummy... that was their own homemade hoisin sauce, homemade pickles, and pork belly, boy that was good. Great combo, great palette, and all goes together like harmony.


At the 'haute mess' 2011 they were one of the big names on the billing. I can see why, they are super nice and food are awesome. The thing that irks me a little was that there was no clear instructions from the 'haute mess' organizer that their ticket doesn't include any food. While I agree that the vendors can't donate all the food for nothing, they should be better publicize that attendees should expects to pay full price on the food from each of the trucks.


While, I do know that each vendor already paid $500 deposit to the organizers, and each attendees pay at least $16 to enter, AND! I know they have to pay for security guards and such, seems like they can either lower the entree fee for the attendees or the vendor fee to let the people get the max out of the experience.


Another thing that was not well done was that food trucks' business, by nature is not made to feed over 300 people. Between the truck/kitchen, and the turn around and what not, every bit of logistics were not made to cater to that large size. Perhaps they all will learn next year, but to be honest, I've said this before and will say it again, I much rather go patronize each of these vendors separately than in a herd style. At one point, Eatsie Boys were so overloaded that they basically told people if you don't want to wait they'll refund your money. 2 or 3 people can't feed 300.


That said, I was smart to get there right before the gate opens and rush straight there for my 1st choice. I've had the Pork Snuggie before, so I know how great the food can be. This time, I had the Pork Revere. It was slow roasted pork, homemade pickles, homemade bbq sauce and slow dough roll. I honestly think the sauce really made the sandwich. Pork was good, but I'm not super picky unless it's marinated in a certain way. But, the sauce was the glue that binds.

Eatsie Boys
usually park outside of Agora Coffee shop on Westheimer and Dunlavy
or they are also at City Hall every Wednesday at the Farmers Market
http://eatsieboys.com/

No comments: