Monday, January 2, 2012

Nippon

When David said he found a new Japanese restaurant on Montrose I was scrating my head. Having lived in that neighborhood when I first arrived in Houston, I thought I know my knook and cranies for places to eat. Totally over looked Nippon on Montrose.
Surprisingly enough, I've never been there. Either because it never crossed my mine, it is hidden, there's no parking, or all of the above. Once we got there, I was like: sure, I've driven by it for years. Yes, they've been there for years.

Sushi is fresh, but sitting at the sushi bar has its perks. You can ask the sushi chef to do Omakase (chef's choice). It's kinda nice. There's definitely regulars that come for their comfort food here.
I ordered the Nippon Roll and it is tuna and white fish with avocado wrapped and tempura-ed then rice and caviar wrapped with soy paper. It definitely lend it's crunchy chew on that. That is not an unusal combo, just the taste remained intact with the tempura and wrap.

The place is small and popular with the regulars and people who live in the neighborhood. There are a small parking lot behind the building, but your best bet is park across the street and walk over. Also, the place is small, if you have a party more than 5, call ahead. Otherwise, during meal time, don't be surprised that you have to wait a bit. They are popluar.

Nippon Japanese Restaurant
4464 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006
(713) 523-3939

No comments: