Monday, May 21, 2012

Bistro Provence

Some friends of mine wanted to grab a quick lunch and landed at Bistro Provence. It really is a hole in the wall, if you mind the road and not look, you wouldn't even realize that there's a tiny strip mall with a few shops in there. 
The decor is nice, and feel very countryside France. It is very dark, and even with incredible sun outside, you feel the intimacy inside.

For even one diner, they brought out this big loaf of bread.  Wow!
I ordered the Salade Nicoise, it's a pretty standard French salad dish where you get seared tuna, hard boiled egg, anchovies on top of a bed of mixed greens.  

I would say over all, the salad is not bad, since you don't get to have that easily accessible in Houston.  That said, compare to other Salade Nicoise I've had, this only fare so-so.  I think one of the reasons was that the service doesn't give you the French feel at all.  I understand the cuisine is French, but neither the GM or the Chef are French.  I guess they really have one other server for lunch, so the GM had to serve us while he's busy running around to other tables.  Aside from having the dishes pronounced in proper French, I don't think I've gotten any warm and fuzzy of the French feel at all.  I know I'm such a Francophile and a French snob, but I think the least they can do to complete the experience for diners.
I will say this, the cappuccino was good, and looks like they have a decent offering of dessert, I was too full to try anything.  But, give it a shot, and see what you think.

If you're going to dine as any other meal, that probably would be an enjoyable experience.  However, if you're expecting a French experience, I think Bistro Le Cep done a better job in the complete experience.  Otherwise, Provence was not a bad place for a date.

Bistro Provence
13616 Memorial Drive
Houston, Texas 77079
713-827-8008http://www.bistroprovence.us/

No comments: