Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Malaysia


One of the places I dragged Mom to go and I know she'd like, is the New Malaysia restaurant. I'm just super excited to have yummy food that is more authentic than I can get in Houston.  Last time I was here, we ordered a quick dinner, this time dinner was full on.

Of course, I had to start off with a cendol, a coconut milk based drink that has jelly and red beans.  It's not only yummy, it also brought back alot of childhood memories of me having that growing up in Hong Kong.

Then, we ordered an appetizer size beef satay.  You don't realize that peanut sauce is being so under utilized until you see it used in many Malaysian dishes.  I know they do use them in Thai dishes as well, but I don't get Malaysian or Indonesian dishes often enough.

One dish you cannot miss is the Hainanese Chicken. I have never made it before, but I love eating it, and from what I understand is that they cook the chicken in the broth.  I just love the flavor of it, and cooking it in the broth is probably why.

Last but not least, we had the pan fried noodles with beef.  It's not as oily as I've had them in other places, just got the flavor on just right.  It's just hit the spot.

New Malaysia Restaurant
48 Bowery (between Bayard & Canal)
New York, NY 10013
It's in an alley you can enter from Elizabeth Street.  Look out for it, you can easily miss it.

No comments: