Thursday, January 22, 2015

Lychee Macarons

Man, it's been so long since I made any macarons.
So long that I have to re-look up things... recipes, measurements, cooking time... So out of practice.
Macaronnage looked good, this is 2 eggs ~ approximately 70gm, 125g of icing sugar, 40g of caster sugar, 90g of almond flour.
It piped out ok...
Nervous about using a different oven, but 10 mins at 320 degrees are good to go.
ooooh, look!  Pied = Feet!!! Yipee!
I had used White Chocolate Ganache with Lychee flavors.  Sadly, the ganache never set, which became a hot mess.  I think it had too much cream.  I did 4oz of white chocolate, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, and 2 tbsp of butter, a 1/4 tsp of Lychee flavor and FAIL!!!

It was too runny, I tried putting it in the fridge overnight, it won't set.  I tried putting it in the freezer, it will set for a short time and melted almost immediately.  Sadly... I had to scrap all of that and use milk chocolate chips to do the Lychee, that with the 3oz of chocolate chips, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, and 1 tbsp of butter and 1/2 tsp of Lychee flavor, that did the trick.  I seriously believe the fat content is out of whack.  That and the milk chocolate is less of a challenge to work with... but for vanity sake, I wanted the coloring... too bad that didn't work.  We shall try and try again!  Oh, it tasted just fine.

No comments: